Quick links to info on this page
HANGNAIL!!! What is that???
Feeling pain when you are brushing your hair with your fingers? A small peach of skin that is a little bit torn near the nails and annoying pain feels when it touches any clothes and torn more.
Most seniors who have dry skin have experienced these horrible and painful experiences and the reason for this is a hangnail.
When the skin near one’s nail or root of nails is found torn or jagged, it is called hangnail. It only happens near the nail, not in the nail.
It is very common in people who are living in winter places or have dry skin. So it does not need to worry about hangnails but it can be infected by bacteria or fungus that will be harmful to the hand.
SYMPTOMS OF INFECTED HANGNAILS:
People usually have hangnails but sometimes hangnails can be infected by bacteria or fungus because of dirt or a polluted environment. Some conditions can ensure you from having hangnails that are infected. Those symptoms are given below.
- RED SPOTS
- TORN SKIN
- WARM FEELINGS
CAUSE OF HANGNAILS
Sometimes people wonder after finding hangnails in their fingers because they can not find any specific reasons for hangnails. If they notice their works, they can find their faults which are the reasons for hangnails.
- For not taking care of fingers
- For not softening cuticles in fingers around nails.
- For not keeping nails and fingers moisturized.
- For not using gloves for hand protection from detergent during dishwashing or cleaning chores.
- For not using a moisturizing soap.
- For not being concerned about dryness during the cold season.
- For not going to professional manicurists.
- For cutting cuticles near the nails.
- For biting cuticles near the nails.
- For biting nails because during biting nails bacteria transfer to nails and sides of nails which is not healthy for the nails and skin.
HOME REMEDIES FOR HANGNAILS
If people don’t become conscious of hangnails, it can be a serious problem later. Usually, people don’t need to go to the doctor or not have to take medicine for simple hangnails.
They can easily treat hangnails at home and for that, there is no need for any costly things. But they have to be conscious of the development of hangnails. Some home remedies for hangnails are given below.
- PETROLEUM JELLY: Petroleum jelly or lip balm is quite famous for the treatment of hangnails. People usually use them before going to bed in the affected area and leave them for the night. As a result, they can be moisturized for the whole night.
- USE OATMEAL AS SCRUB: Oatmeal is not only an effective and very gentle exfoliator, it helps to soften dry skin. After mixing oatmeal powder and warm water, you can apply it on hand which will make the skin very soft and moisturized.
- YOGURT HAND PACK: Yogurt has probiotics and anti-inflammatory properties, as a result, it is used to cure hangnails. It is also a good moisturizer. So yogurt hand pack is beneficial to hangnails.
- HONEY: Honey is a great agent for moisturizing. So it works very well for hangnails as hangnails are the result of dry skin. On the other side, honey has antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory elements which is very much useful to prevent hangnails. Dab raw or Manuka honey can be used in the affected area several times a day. It helps to soften skin.
- VITAMIN E OIL: Vitamin E oil is quite available in everyone’s house. It is usually used for hair treatment or facial treatment. But it also can be used for hangnails. Like,
People can use vitamin E on the affected area for few times a day. But one thing has to be remembered vitamin has to be absorbed fully in the affected area. Vitamin E can be used with olive oil or castor oil or jojoba oil on the affected area a few times a day.
- EPSOM SALT: People usually use Epsom salt to remove toxins. As it contains magnesium so it helps to reduce inflammation and swelling as well as pain.
- AVOCADO: Avocado is a great source of vitamin E which is so useful to prevent hangnails. It also contains healthy fat and other elements that are so helpful to prevent hangnails. One can use avocado after mashing and mixing it with coconut oil on the affected area at night and leave it for the whole night. It can be used a few times a week.
- ALMONDS: Almond is rich in vitamin E and so they can be used to prevent hangnails. It has also fatty acid which prevents swelling as well as inflammation. One can apply grind almonds with egg yolk and a little honey before going to bed.
- BEESWAX BALM: Beeswax balm is so useful to soften skin as well as moisturized it. It also increases the strength of nails. Beeswax can be used with various types of oils like almond oil, olive oil, and honey.
- ALOE VERA: aloe vera has some properties which help to moisturize and heal skin problems like hangnails. People can use aloe vera jell with turmeric powder on the affected area for 30 minutes.
- WHITE CLAY: White clay contains various minerals which is beneficial to dry skin. So white clay can be used to prevent hangnails as it occurs due to dry skin. People can use mixing white clay with olive oil or almond oil on their hands which prevents hangnails as well as good for their hand skin.
Hang Nails. – My Conclusion:
So anyone can easily get rid of the nightmare of hangnails just by using some kitchen stuff which is very common in everyone’s kitchen. But if the problem is quite serious then I will recommend you to visit the nearest good skin specialist. From this situation, some critical infections and other problems can easily appear. So don’t take the risk in serious cases.
You can read more about home remedies at https://www.tinyqualityhomes.org/
Eddie Vandam realized when he was getting older that it was hard to find information about products for seniors and decided to share his experiences here on the website to help others. Read more.